Fuel pump questions

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Tue Dec 9 02:56:58 GMT 1997

Ed wrote:

> Some of the questions I'm about to post may sound stupid, but I'd really
> like to get some answers.
>
> In-tank fuel pumps: Since the wiring is also submersed, would there be
> any worry about the + and - wires shorting each other, causing a spark,
> and destroying the fuel tank? (this is my dumb question)

[snip]

When I was accumulating parts for my TBI conversion, I noticed the open
wiring on the pump wire attach points. I immediatly freaked.  I went to
a follow gearhead engineer in the fuel system design group and inquired
about gasoline conducting electricity.  He informed me it doesn't and
this does cause potential problems for aircraft design.  There is an
additive in aircraft fuels to cause the fuel to conduct electricity.
The flow rates in these big engines and during refueling will buildup a
static charge if the fuel isn't conductive.  BOOM!

I have noticed that a lot of companies in-line fuel pumps look similar.
Makes me wonder if like most things these days there is only one or two
actual manufactures of these things and the rest are just pasting their
name to it.  Delco makes an in-line pump for the TBI, but I haven't
found the part number for it.  Haven't looked hard because I don't need
it.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban