Fuel pump questions

Carl Summers InnovativeTechnologies at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 9 05:27:17 GMT 1997

Bruce Bowling wrote:

> > The return line must have a min of pressure.
> > All gas tanks have a line at the bottom of the tank, for the pick-up,
> > and then various others, they can be mounted all over the place.
> > I beleive it was some Chry. where they had some mounted on the sides at
> > about what would be 7/8 full.  On some tanks there is a large trapped
> > air bubble, all I was making the point was not to let the return line be
> > covered, if the return is sometimes covered the return line pressure
> > goes up, the regulator can't bleed the pressure down, and the motor goes
> > very rich.
> >   Hope that better explains it   Bruce  nacelp at bright.net
> >

> I have heard that the return line must exit at the bottom of the
> tank, so there is no "fuel splash". I think I got this from the
> JTR book. Is this true? Does it matter?
>
> - Bruce
>
> --
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>                  Bruce A. Bowling
>                  Staff Scientist
>    Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility
>     12000 Jefferson Ave - Newport News, VA 23606
>                  (804) 249-7240
> bowling at cebaf.gov  http://devserve.cebaf.gov/~bowling

I have always run my return line to the bottom of the tank to avoid
foaming of the fuel,,,,return line size is the critical part, generally
I use the same size return as pressure because I buy my braided line in
bulk, I also agree with Bruce Plecan that a couple of lbs pressure in
the return line of a low pressure system(TBI) is about max,,Higher
pressure(TPI) I just don't know,,,,anyone else???????