Fuel pump questions

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Wed Dec 10 04:05:43 GMT 1997

Squash wrote:

> > The return line pressure is based on the vertical distance the fuel
> > is pumped, not the weight of fuel in the tank.  So there would be
> > more pressure if the fuel were returned to the top of the tank .
> > Most gas tanks are lower than the high point of the system so the
> > return line is down hill.
> >
> > Bob McKnight phx az
>
> So you mean to tell me that you can just as easily pump water up a 3/8"
> pipe 75' straight up and into the bottom of a water tower and that 3/8"
> line will have LESS pressure on it than the same line going to the top
> of the water tower and dripping in through the top?  I've been wrong
> before, but I really don't think this is right.
>
> If you put the fuel return line into the bottom of the tank, wouldn't
> that be just like pinching the line and creating more pressure?  Or the
> same as using a smaller fuel line diameter?
>
> Please do explain to me as i don't really understand this i guess...
>
> --
> Andy Quaas
> p.s. !!!!NO FLAMES INTENDED!!!!

The same as pumping it to the top surface of the water in the water
tower. Whether it goes up or down out of the pipe at that point has no
bearing on it at all. If the tank is 75 feet tall to the bottom, and 10
feet deep, pumping the water up 85 feet is the same as pumping it to the
bottom of the  tank.
--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys