Fuel pump questions

Clare Snyder clsnyde at ibm.net
Wed Dec 10 04:10:41 GMT 1997

sfg wrote:

> Frederic Breitwieser wrote:
> >
> > > As for sparking: I have the same question.
> > > That's a brush-type motor in the tank! What if
> > > fuel level is at min, and the motor brushes are exposed?
> > > Steve
>
> ...snip
> > The in-tank fuel pumps are sealed
> > as to prevent the armature from being saturated with gasoline...
> ...snip
>
> I took my failed GM OEM pump to bits to see what broke. It APPEARED
> to me like the fuel had free access to the armature and brushes.
> I saw nothing in there to prevent gas from getting in. BTW, failure
> was due to 1 of the 2 plastic rotors being split. Brushes were 50%
> worn down after 120,000 miles. The Mexican pump I replaced
> it with (AutoZone) lasted 2 months. So I now run the Mallory
> 4060FI external in-line (having lost the desire to drop the
> tank again)    Steve

You are correct - the armature is directly cooled by immersion in
gasoline. One reason to never run a FI'd engine too low on fuel - the
pump will overheat. On a FI'd vehicle that has sat with the gas cap off
for a good lenth of time, ALWAYS top up the tank before attempting to
start the engine - to drive out any air drom the tank and render the
mixture too dense to ignite.
--
                             _/\_

Remove the R from E-Mail Address to reply. Stop the spammers!!!
It's hard to soar like an eagle when your stuck with a bunch of
Turkeys