GM ecm on Ford??

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Wed Dec 10 14:15:13 GMT 1997

>fisystems said;
>
>>I have seen several postings of projects mentioned where the builder is
>using
>>a GM ecm for engine management on a ford crate engine.  Sounds like a good
>>idea,  just one question.
>
>Why is the GM ecm preferred over the Ford eec-iv?  I have a ford I would
>like to convert to EFI someday.  I do have better documentation on the GM
>system than on the Ford so I would have more to start with from that
>standpoint, but I had always assumed that I would put a ford system on it.
>
>later,
>dale c

Dale, as I understand it, the GM system is easier to get into and
modify -- haven't messed with one myself.  I did, however, start a
list dedicated exclusively to the eec-iv and others and myself have
compiled lots of data on the eec-iv .... problem with it is Ford has
chosen to go the way of the old main-frame confuzer manufacturers and
Apple confuzer in that they built a "closed" system with proprietary
parts and a proprietary bus scheme that makes cracking the box difficult.
And then, when you do, you can't get parts for it -- e.g. the eeprom, for
example, which is proprietary and, AFAIK, can't be had by the normal
hacker.

my latest compilation on eec-iv named 112601.pdf (bottom of page should say
printed 11-26)

on several web sites ....  probably others

        http://www.wrljet.com/engines
        http://www.freeyellow.com/members2/midnitewiz/index.html
        http://www.SmartWorx.com/Dcompton
(click on "Link to FTP Site", click on "Automotive", and then click on "EEC-IV")
        http://www.tiac.net/users/goape/index.htm

also available on Greg Parmer's ftp site:
        ftp.acesag.auburn.edu/pub/users/gparmer

for other eec-iv info, check out:

        http://www.iaw.com/~aubertin/88mgt/eec-iv/eec-iv.htm
        http://204.255.212.10/~jthorsse/eectest.html