Fuel pump questions

sfg sfgent at ac.net
Wed Dec 10 14:40:16 GMT 1997

...snip
> > > It APPEARED
> > > to me like the fuel had free access to the armature and brushes.
> > > I saw nothing in there to prevent gas from getting in.
... snip
> > You are correct - the armature is directly cooled by immersion in
> > gasoline. One reason to never run a FI'd engine too low on fuel -
....snip
> And to add a little more, if you are in any position to notice,
> most GM
> fuel pumps fail when the copper contacts on the armature are worn
> through
> and the brushes are at about 50% life. If someone could make a pump
> with an AC motor and small inverter, or maybe DC brushless?? then it > should last forever.
>
> Shannen
I was astounded to find brushes inside the pump! Speaking of
failures, my experiences with GM fuel pump/tank problems
('87 TBI K5 Blazer) are:
1. plastic tank baffle comes loose, flops around
2. tiny black plastic bits then clog up several fuel filters
3. pump detaches itself from mounting inside tank, falls off
4. plastic rotor (impeller) inside pump cracks
5. replacement (aftermarket) pump fails (mode unknown)
6. level sensor resistor intermittent
I have lost track of how many times I have R&Red the tank.
 Steve