IAC

James Boughton jpb01 at ibm.net
Wed Dec 10 21:27:10 GMT 1997

Frederid Breitweiser wrote:
> I would think mechanically changing the motor would be the idea solution,
> as then there aren't any electronics to update, change, modify, or play
> with.  My understanding of IAC motors is they just push the throttle
> assembly on the air-intake a bit to ensure the vehicle doesn't stall when
> cold, decelerating, etc.  If so, its just a linkage, right?

Not anymore.  IAC motors today are usually stepper motors that move a pintle
in a bypass air hole to control the extra airflow necessary with various loads
or age.  These are typically the 4 wire setups.

I have heard of a PWM valve being used, but I have never actually seen one.  Maybe
this is what the Ford is using that only has 2 wires.

Jim Boughton
jpb01 at ibm.net