crank fuse

Carmine carmine at ibmoto.com
Fri Dec 12 16:13:59 GMT 1997

---- bmccord at whittman-hart.com writes:

 I was just wondering how many Amps is the circuit actually drawing ? It
 might lead some insight in to the problem I mean if the circuit is drawing
 5 or 6 amps for several seconds during starting it may be blowing after the
 engine is starting, Or could there be some sort of say 10 or 15 amp spike
 for a millisecond after the engine starts?

 This also may be a dumb question but is the fuse rated correctly? And
 should it be a normal fuse or a "slow blow"?

 Thanks

 Billy McCord

>I have a CRANK FUSE (3Amps) that keeps blowing. The wiring diagrams show
>this
>fuse go to a fuel pump relay, but I don't have a EFI engine.  It's
>carburated.
>It seems to blow after the engine starts. The car is a 84 Pontiac TA. The
>engine VIN code is G (V8 5L 4bbl). Sorry if this isn't diy_efi related.
>Thanks.
>Carmine

---- end of included message ----

The manual calls for a 3A fuse.  It does not say anything about a "slow blow".
The 3A fuse is always blown.  I replaced it with a 10A one and it blew as well.
A 15A held up.  The fuse would blow as the engine cranks to start.  Not having
a fuse in the circuit does not seem to affect anything.  So, I don't know what
it's for.

Thanks
Carmine