Fuel resivoir/tank baffles

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Sat Dec 13 00:14:08 GMT 1997

>is momentarily starved, sending air to the engine, leaning out and
>back-firing.  Eeeeouch.  So basically, what has GM or Ford done with
>this?

Most modern fuel injected vehicles have the OEM version of your coffee can
idea... usually made out of non-dissolvable plastic :)

My Ford CrewCab didn't have such a baffle, so down steep hills or jumping
caused severe starvation and a lean-sputtering-sick condition.  A friend of
mine who welds a lot better than I did simply made a sump in the back
center of the tank, trapizoid shaped, and put the pickup at the bottom of
the sump.  Worked very well, even under extreme abuse.  The extra 4" of
sump didn't affect me since I had 48" tires on the beast... the diff's were
by far the lowest point on the truck :)

Good luck!
Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive