2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Terryk terryk at foothill.net
Sun Dec 14 08:11:29 GMT 1997

Hi Shannon,

I thought exactly the same thing, but a guy that does Quad 4 swaps said he
ran into that problem. The bolt patterns were different. I am assuming that
he is right. Maybe someone can nail this down for me. I'm using an Isuzu 5
speed right now. Works fine, but the gears are too low. From 6500, I drop
to 4000 which puts me too far into the torque curve. The Getrag would drop
me into about 3200 from 2nd to 3rd. If made a big difference in a friend's
Fiero.

Now, get out the tissue for the tears of laughter....

I am going to swap either a 3.8L Buick or a 5.0/5.7L TPI in "one" of my
Citation X-11's. I'll pause for a moment......

Ok, are your eyes clear?

I considered the Q4, but the HO's are hard to find. The Buick has the
problem of never being mated to a manual tranny. They check that in
California (if they decide to look, that can bounce the swap.) I've been
over it extensively with CARB.

That leaves me with the 3.4L V6 (rare) and the 5.0/5.7L TPI. Yep, it will
fit if I go to an external water pump. The exhaust will be interesting
though. The 5.x will need an adapter plate. From the feedback, it looks
like the FWD Buicks use the same pattern as the 2.8/3.1. I think a 3.4
would not be enough of a change (again, rare). So......

I currently have a pumped 85 2.8L MPFI in one of them. 260H10 cam,
stainless steel valve. SiBronze guides, 5.7L rods, yada, yada, yada,
ported, polished, balanced. Mustang GT's are real surprised. Older Camaro's
are too, but I lose to torque above 60 MPH. Runs great, but I need more
torque.

I don't really want to convert the automatic X-11 unless I need to for the
motor choice. So, except for the adapter plate issue, the SB Chevy would be
the logical choice. But I need to stay open on the Buick.

Too bad there isn't a 4.3L Chevy V6 that came with manual and MPFI!

Let's not go into the torque hop issue...............

TK
----------
> From: Shannen Durphey <shannen at mcn.net>
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: 2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?
> Date: Sunday, December 14, 1997 2:08 AM
>
> Quad 4 and 2.8 are different?  Where/how did you find that one?  GM FWD
all
> have "metric" bolt pattern, AFIK. 3.8l RWD has traditional BOP pattern.
> Whatcha swappin?
>
> Terryk wrote:
>
> > Anybody know if the 3.8L Buick FWD engine and the 2.8L/3.1L/3.4L Chevy
FWD