2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Terryk terryk at foothill.net
Mon Dec 15 00:48:40 GMT 1997

I've spent tons of time on the phone with CARB. Very reasonable people
actually. Tom Angle of CARB said I needed to stick with a manual tranny
engine and system to get certified. He thought the 5.0/57L idea was great,
but didn't want to drive it..........

So the 3.8L idea is dying for the manual X-11. Maybe later on my
automatic.....

The 3.4L pushrod is starting to have possibilities. And they wouldn't need
to know.

So anyone have a 3.4L FWD pushrod block?

TK

----------
> From: Ludis Langens <ludis at netcom.com>
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: 2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?
> Date: Sunday, December 14, 1997 1:09 PM
>
> Frederic Breitwieser <frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com> wrote:
> >In regards to FWD non-8 cyl engines, its a rule of thumb Buick and
Pontiac
> >have the same bolt patterns (match each other) and Chevy and Olds are
the
> >same (match each other as well).
>
> I don't think so...  Remember, the FWD cars are all from an era of GM
> "corporate" engines and vehicle platforms.  All the four brands (plus the
> Cadillac Cimarron) match each other.
>
> >This is why a 3.8L, 3800 Gen I or Gen II fits so nicely into a Fiero -
> >Buick into Pontiac.
>
> The 2.8 V6 used in a Fiero is a Chevy engine.
>
> Terry <terryk at foothill.net> wrote:
> >I considered the Q4, but the HO's are hard to find. The Buick has the
> >problem of never being mated to a manual tranny. They check that in
> >California (if they decide to look, that can bounce the swap.) I've been
> >over it extensively with CARB.
>
> I've seen mention of a RWD Buick 3.8 mated to a stick in something like a
> Camaro.  You can't use the flywheel on a FWD 3.8 (the engine balance is
> different).  But, you might be able to use the ECM and PROM from it to
> please the CARBies.
>
> >What's BOP?
>
> BuickOldsPontiac.
>
>                    unsigned long BinToBCD(unsigned long i) {unsigned long
t;
> Ludis Langens         return i ? (t = BinToBCD(i >> 1), (t << 1) + (i &
1) +
> ludis at netcom.com                 (t + 858993459 >> 2 & 572662306) * 3) :
0;}