2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Terryk terryk at foothill.net
Mon Dec 15 05:23:52 GMT 1997

Somewhere I have a article with GM about the Getrag transaxle. If I
remember it correctly, the Getrag was spec'd something like 200ft-lbs for
warranty, 350ft-lbs in reality and 500 before destruction.

I just don't hear about the crunching.

TK

----------
> From: Shannen Durphey <shannen at mcn.net>
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: 2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?
> Date: Sunday, December 14, 1997 11:15 PM
>

> Terryk wrote:
>
> > Ok, we have three yes (same) , and two no's (different).
> >
> > I wondered if the 3.8L in the Camaro was the Buick or the Chevy. Why
not
> > the Chevy? But that would require an adapter plate too. It would fit a
> > little better though.
> >
> > TK
> >
> > ----------
> > > From: Sketch <sketch at r34h11.res.gatech.edu>
> > > To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> > > Subject: Re: 2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?
> > > Date: Sunday, December 14, 1997 11:11 AM

> > he
> > that
> > Isuzu 5
> > drop
> > drop
> > friend's
> > >
> > > Yes, the Quad 4 does have a different bolt pattern.  If you use a
Quad 4,
> > > you will need the Getrag 5-speed or automatic that came with it (or
> > > another one).  All of the other GM L4/V6 FWD's use the same bolt
pattern.

> > > (I think the NorthStar might, as well?)  I don't think the BOP/Chevy
bolt
> > > pattern thing holds much weight as far as FWD goes, I think it's all
just
> > > "GM".

> > been
> > >
> > > Actually, the Buick _IS_ mated to a manual tranny - in the 95+
F-bodies.
> > > They use a RWD Series II 3800, rated at 200hp.  (5hp less than the
FWD?)

> > > As someone else posted, you will need to make your own flywheel
anyway,
> > > and the web page he listed will tell you how.  It also mentions that
the
> > > RWD flywhel is too thick, but could probably be machined down to fit.
> > >
> > > BTW, there's some info on various Fiero engine swaps on my web page
(see
> > > below) which might be interesting to you.  :)
> > >
> > > C'ya    |  86 Fiero SE 2m6 4-speed  |  Space Coast Fieros
> > > Sketch  |  Daytona Beach, FL        |  Florida Fiero Council
> > >
> > > Florida Fiero Council & Online Service Guide:
> > > http://apollo.pacificweb.net/~sketch/
> > >

>  Sorry about the delay, I've had to spend the last two days dealing with
> Christmas parties, Christmas shopping, Christmas cards, and Christmas
traffic.

> I guess by now that you found out that BOP is Buick, Olds, Pontiac (and
some
> Cadillac) bellhousing pattern for RWD vehicles.
>
> Well, I learned some new things.  3800 in a Camaro, that's new.
Different
> bellhousings for FWD, that's new, too.  Confirmed the 3800 but not the
> bellhousings.  It's okay, I've got faith.
>
> Now for things I did find...
>
> Got an Olds Rocketparts and older GM Perf. parts book here.  Latest Chevy
Power
> is at the shop.  Got heavy duty differentials here for "any GM five-speed
> transaxle"  #22551487.  There's a note in my Muncie 5 speed transaxle
book that
> rated input torque is 170 ft. lbs (future cap of 200 ft. lbs.). Book is
dated
> 1988.  Looks like J, L, and N cars hold more oil than A or P cars.  I
think A
> is celebrity, P is Fiero, J is Cavalier, L is Corsica/Beretta, N is
Cutlass