oxygen sensor readings

Orin Eman orin at wolfenet.com
Mon Dec 15 08:24:30 GMT 1997

> So how do I go about using the signal as a vague indicator of the A/F ratio?
> Average it?  Over how long?
> I'm not planning on doing any fueling with this, just another gadget to display
> on the LCD.  Really I'm just looking for good,bad,danger, etc.

Well, I just put the signal into one or two LM3914s to create an LED
bargraph display.  Mr GRUMPYNOMO has written a very good description
below of the O2 sensor operation below.

With the bargraph display and no filtering, you'll see
the voltage swing back and forth from somewhere around 100mV to
somewhere around 800mV.  Maybe a couple of times a second at
idle to 5 or so times at cruise.  You'd need to average over
at least a second to get some indication...  then you would
have to calibrate to your particular sensor using an exhaust
gas analyser... and then that would only work if the temperature
of the sensor was constant... and it would change over time
as the sensor aged...

> >From what you're saying, Assuming normal operating parameters with a good
> running engine, would 800-900mV indicate 14+ to 1?  Would 450mV be a good
> mixture?

Not really.  800-900mV means rich, likely between 12:1 and 14:1.

450mV is stoich, 14.7:1, but you'll never see the output stay
at 450mV.  The curve of voltage against air/fuel ratio
is so steep at 14.7:1 that you can't manage the fuel to
get 450mV.  You are always higher or lower!