2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern? (not related tought)

Alain Toussaint alaint at boisfrancs.qc.ca
Mon Dec 15 08:07:36 GMT 1997

>Cutlass Calais came with 3.0l v-6 which is little brother to the 3.8l
engine.
>Maybe get the flywheel and rebalance if necessary?? Maybe get complete
>engine/trans combo so bolts, brackets, clips, and what-have-you are handy.
>BTW  If you don't rebuild the engine, change the timing gears.  When it
goes,
>valves go too.  I've changed a bunch after it's too late.

on the subject of timing gears,mom's chum bought a Olds with a gone timing
gears/belt/chain (dont know witch one),he had a great deal on it but the car
need some TLC,here's the stories about the damage,the sellers go to a
resto,10 minutes before comming back to the car,he start the car with a
"radio-controled car starter" (i would know how to call it in french but i
scratched my head about 10 minutes trying to get the exact definition of the
device),then he goes to the car and found it not running anymore,he call the
towing,bring it to the GM car dealership in the region here,the mechanic do
an estimation of 1500$ (CAN money) of damage,my question is,can the engine
be shot if the car's timing "device" break when the engine's idling ??

Alain