oxygen sensor readings

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Mon Dec 15 16:36:28 GMT 1997

>my o2 sensor reads around .92 on my 454 when cruising at 2600 rpms
>(about 60mph).  This seems rich to me, but it runs great up there!
>Could the position of the O2 sensor have any affect on the reading?
>--
>Andy Quaas

Andy, you're running the ProJection, right ??  ... the digital
ProJection I believe ??  if my memory serves me right (i.e. you're
running their digital system), you have the HEGO, so the position
shouldn't matter -- the sensor is self-heated.  As far as it
holding steady in a "rich" mode rather than running leaner -- or
switching, two thoughts:

 - if the 4di (or whatever it's called) isn't set up for a TWC
(3-way catalyst), it won't be sweeping the mixture back-and-forth
around stoich (~.5 volts)

 - my experience with the analog ProJection is that it runs rich
all the time -- and the EGO feedback only keeps it from going too
lean ... not used as a feedback to maintain the mixture near stoich.
It is possible to make the analog system run lean at cruise, but
it isn't consistent (i.e. the mixture will vary and, IMO, go too
lean sometimes) and the power isn't there is you set the midrange
too lean