2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Sketch sketch at r34h11.res.gatech.edu
Mon Dec 15 23:21:41 GMT 1997

> I believe that all FWD GM cars use the same pattern which is different than
> either RWD pattern.  RWD vehicles such as the Camaro and S-10 used the 2.8
> V6, originally designed for FWD, use the FWD bellhousing pattern with RWD.
>
> I don't know what the new Camaro with the 3800 uses but I suspect it has the
> FWD pattern since the 3800 is way different than the GN style engine.
>
> Therefore wouldn't any FWD GM engine fit any FWD transmission?

Yes, they do, with the exception of the Quad 4.

I'm not sure if the RWD 2.5/2.8/3800's use a FWD bolt pattern though.
Even if they do, if you're trying to mate one to a GM transaxle, you're
going to have to move the starter to the other side, because that's where
one of the axles expects to live.

C'ya    |  86 Fiero SE 2m6 4-speed  |  Space Coast Fieros
Sketch  |  Daytona Beach, FL        |  Florida Fiero Council

Florida Fiero Council & Online Service Guide:
http://apollo.pacificweb.net/~sketch/