Injector resistance.

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Dec 16 14:30:51 GMT 1997

>> Joe, you're such a nice guy! But I wonder out loud if the resistance was
>> measured at 1.9ohms BEFORE he applied 12V directly, or AFTER. Hee. Even
>> if smoke didn't escape, if 12V doesn't make the injector clatter,
>> NOTHING will. Lemme see, hmm 2 ohms static means 6A flowing thru an
>> injector that's probably made to HOLD with somewhere between 0.5A and
>> 0.75A max. Whelp, me I'd guess it's fried. But if it WAS fried, it
>> wouldn't measure 1.9ohms any more. Mysteries abound, eh?
>>
>> But then, hell, whadawino?
>>
>> Garfield
>
>Maybe the smoke emitted was dense enough that it absorbed all the sound
>waves, thus.......okay maybe i'm just dense for making this statement.
>When I tried 12V across a peak and hold and held it there it smoked, at the
>beginning i did hear the injector open, maybe if i had pulsed it i would
>have got better results, eh?  But in any case it seams like job for the
>X-Files

letting the smoke out doesn't mean that the resistance changes -- doesn't
mean it doesn't, either .... the smoke comes from burning insulation.
If the wire were to burn in two, the resistance would read "open".
More likely is that there's a short between windings or turns and this
will affect the inductance of the coil -- i.e. it might still open the
injector but it won't do it very well