Stumped by TPI

H8carbs H8carbs at aol.com
Wed Dec 17 02:52:53 GMT 1997

> I have a '88 5.7 Chevy with TPI running in my Sebring MX. The wiring
> harness
> is an old Street and Perf. speed density job using a '7170
> ECM.(V6-Fiero).
> The Problem:
> The car runs extremely rich all the time but mostly under 2500rpm.
> Motor is bone stock. No codes set. Plenty of O2 crosscounts.No vacuum
> leaks.

Not sure about the MAP voltage, but that sounds like a good starting point.

Okay, wild ass <newbie> guesses:  Is there a thermostat present?   How hot?

Does the ECM *see* the operating temp correctly?
I'm curious what the ECM is sensing as far as coolant temp.
If the thing never detects 160-180 degrees, you might be in open loop,
or at least running rich.  Assuming your wiring harness still has an ALDL
connector, maybe a scanner or Diacom would help you see what's going on..

Mike V.
H8carbs at aol.com