2.8L/3.1L AND 3.8L FWD same bellhousing pattern?

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at mcione.com
Thu Dec 18 02:19:38 GMT 1997

>Cutlass Calais came with 3.0l v-6 which is little brother to the 3.8l engine.
>Maybe get the flywheel and rebalance if necessary?? Maybe get complete
>engine/trans combo so bolts, brackets, clips, and what-have-you are handy.
>BTW  If you don't rebuild the engine, change the timing gears.  When it goes,
>valves go too.  I've changed a bunch after it's too late.

You know, you just hit on something that should have occured to us... the
3.0L did come with manual transaxles, and its the same block and crank
pattern from what I've been able to find out, so moving the flywheel over
and rebalancing it to match the flexplate of the 3.8L wouldn't be that
difficult for a competent machine shop.

Also, having the engine balanced, and the flywheel or flywheel/flexplate
combination balanced, would be even a better situation.  But Terry might
not want to rip the motor apart if it works just fine.

>Worried about conversions?  Worried about emissions inspections?  Wyoming and
>Montana have no vehicle inspections whatsoever.  :)

So, you are offering your home address for people to "move" to, right ? <Grin>

>Hmmm...what about Aurora v-8?  I'll find out tomorrow if they came with std.
>trans.  Yeah, I know.  That one costs money :(

But its a super engine, no doubt about that :)  I've been lead to believe
its founded off the Northstar engine.  Though here I go again putting my
foot in my mouth :)

Frederic Breitwieser
Homebrew Automotive
Bridgeport, CT 06606