turbo sizing

Stuart Baly S.Baly at BoM.GOV.AU
Fri Dec 19 14:34:30 GMT 1997

Steve Leonard wrote:

> Dave,
>    I have been helping my friend on his 1998 Ski-doo
> Mach Z, with the 800cc Suzuki triple, using a Motec
> controller. Typical bosch injectors etc.
> We made 223 HP at 9,200. 0n 8lbs of boost. Here is
> the kicker, on 10lbs of boost it made 202hp, at 12lbs
> it made 186hp. We said what the F#%@!!!!!
>   It turns out the reed valves won't seal under these
> boost conditions, we tried several aftermarket reeds
> with minimal success.
>   The sad part is, a 670cc rotary valve bored to
> 724cc, is making 240 on 10lbs boost, carburated! So
> we are still looking for answers.

A while ago there was a discussion here about turbocharging a
two-stroke, and the general consensus was that it couldn't be done,
or was very difficult, at least. So how is it done?

Stuart.
Stuart Baly (s.baly at bom.gov.au)
Technical Officer
Cape Grim Baseline Air Pollution Station
'71 Datsun 510, '81 Yamaha RD350LC, '89 Kawasaki GPz900R