700R4 (4L60)

Ron Gregory rgregory at iName.com
Fri Dec 19 14:52:04 GMT 1997

>>I've see the two on the floor next to each other, and they definitely
>have different patterns.  One was a 700r4 from a '86 S-10 Blazer (2.8
>V6) , the other was a 700r4 from a '91 Caprice (5.7 V8).  No way would
>one bolt to the engine of the other.  I don't have pictures, but there
>is on on page 4-3 of the S-10 V8 swap manual from JTR.<
>
>I stand corrected.  Since the 2.8L was also used in the F-bodies, GM must
>have made a second case casting for a few years.  I assume the F-body
>700-R4 shared the same unusual bolt pattern.

The 90-degree V6 (4.3 L) and V8 (5.0/5.7) have the same bolt pattern
on the bell housing.  They bolt-up to the same 700R4 and torque
converter... 30-spline, 12-inch (max).

The 60-degree V6 (2.8/3.1/3.4) all have the same bolt patter on the
bell housing... but not the same as the 90-degree engines.  They
use a 28-spline 9.5 inch (max) convertor.

I just bought an '87 S-Blazer with a 2.8.  It had a blown tranny.
I asked the tranny shop to build it up big and bad, so I could
bolt a V8 SBC in there some day.  He said "why?" the SBC won't
bolt to that tranny... :-(

My Syclone has a 4.3.... I could bolt a V8 SBC in there if I suddenly
developed brain damage <grin>
~~~~~
Ron Gregory                             '91 Syclone (VIN 1452)
rgregory at iName.com                      Garland, TX