Tunable intake manifold question

Mazda Ebrahimi kleenair at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 6 00:38:32 GMT 1997

The chamber volumes before the throttle DO make a difference.  Most
modern production intake systems are based on a three degrees of freedom
model consisting of (in order as air enters the engine): the snorkel,
air chamber, zip tube, plenum, runner, and cylinder.  The stuff above
the throttle is mostly effective at lower RPMs (let's hope they are not
restrictive at higher speeds!).  You can treat every volume and its
following tube length (as in the plenum and the intake runner, or the
air chamber and the zip tube) as a spring mass system, where the mass is
the mass of in the plenum plus the runner, and spring rate is:
	K = nPA^2/V  where n is the polytropic constant, A is runner
cross sectional area, and V is the volume.  The resonance frequency of
such a spring mass system is:

	f = c*sqr(A/LV)/(2*PI) where c is the acoustic velocity.

to tune the system, you want the frequency of your pulses (derived from
engine speed) to match this number at your target speed.

Having said all that, most of the equations are from some hand notes I
took while I attended a class on cam design.  Since I don't design
intake systems for a living, I don't recommend you actually believe what
you just read without further investigation.  I'm sure there are plenty
of people here with more experience that can shed some more light on the
subject.  Enough with the fine print!!

Best Regards, Mazda