DIY ABS

Stuart Baly S.Baly at BoM.gov.au
Thu Feb 6 01:34:54 GMT 1997

>A local magazine called "zoom" has just featured a 70's 240Z that the
>guy has retrofitted the ABS braking system from a 300ZX. I'm sure it's

cut cut cut ...

> Except for two things..
>
> 1) The programming will most likely be ALL wrong for the weight of the
>vehicle
>    decel rates, slip angles, etc..
>
> 2) Most ABS units have all the code internal to uP so there is no
>replaceable
>    EPROM to tweak.
>
> I think DIY_ABS is only useful if accompanied by DIY_EjectionSeat
>
> <grin>

Actually, the guy in the article found a bigger problem. He inadvertantly
swapped the left and right front wheel speed sensors during installation.
According to the article, when he dropped anchor the first time, the car
'wanted to do a very quick U-turn'.
        I've found 'Zoom' magazine to be a fairly good read. It's actually
an offshoot of 'Silicon Chip' magazine. Its head honcho seems to know his
stuff, and it seems to be about the only credible auto tech magazine
produced in Aus. - I've got a thing about believing any info published in a
magazine with bikini babes on the cover.

Stuart.