Methanol injectors..

Seth Allen n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Sun Feb 16 19:52:08 GMT 1997

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Michael D. Porter wrote:

> Seth Allen wrote:
> >
> > Hi there,
> > I am wondering if anyone out there has any experience with methanol
> > resistant efi injectors.
>
> Only with diesels... and it eats `em up, along with everything else.
> Don't waste your time with methanol.
>
> > Besides an intercooler, I want to have a multi stage pressure switch thst
> > will signal roughly the amt of boost and batch fire  4 methanol injectors
> > for additional fuel and significant intake charge cooling.  I can
> > fabricate a tank, and get a pump, but i amtrying to find reasonably
> > priced methanol, or methanol resistant injectors.
>
> Most brass injectors fare better than one might expect with alcohols,
> but methanol still causes big problems, if only because there's
> virtually no lubricity in the fuel--it eats injectors, pumps and engine
> internal parts and who knows what else. The problem is not just the
> injectors.  It's the whole system. We put steel-geared transfer pumps on
> buses running methanol and they were gone in a matter of days--finally
> helped the problem by installing glass-filled nylon gears in the pumps.
> Alcohols cut oil's lubricity, so you get top-end and ring wear at an
> accelerated rate. A better possibility is ethanol--there are lubricating
> additives for that fuel which are proven to work, and the corrosion
> problems are fewer with ethanol.  Further, it's easier to get than
> methanol (in denatured form), and in terms of price/BTU value, far
> cheaper.
> Cheers.
>
> --
> My other Triumph doesn't run, either....

Methanol buses, huh? where do (did) busues run on methanol?

Thanks for the input, I can get a reasonably priced 40 psi (2.8 bar)
methanol proof (so they say) fuel pump, and I can fabricate stainless
plumbing.  I am not too worried about accelerated wear, as the methanol
injection is only under elevated boost levels (above 6 psig or 0.4 bar).
And 1800cc VW engines are cheap and easily found, if wear becomes a huge
issue.

My main reason for choosing methanol is the latent heat of vaporization.
I suppose ethanol is probably similar in this respect, but I believe that
ethanol has a lower octane equivalence number.  Based on your input, i
will consider ethanol with an additive.  Or perhaps a methanol/ gasoline
blend.  The primary CIS system will still be running unleaded gasoline.

Ideally, i hope to get enough intake air cooling with evaporation of an
alcohol so that an intercooler becomes unnecessary.

Thanks again for the input,

Seth