Methanol injectors..

Robert Harris bob at bobthecomputerguy.com
Tue Feb 18 09:23:03 GMT 1997

First, their is a very good discussion of propane as a fuel in the
exhaustive gasoline FAQ found on a number of sites on the internet.  One
should read that prior to any conjecture.  Then run your favorite search
engine for hits on LPG.  You will find more real data than you can digest.

As with anything, there are certain penalties with the use of anything -
but remember that if you are at the detonation limit as is the case of the
request for methanol injectors, all of the supposed disadvantages of higher
octane fuels other than gasocrapolla have to be weighed against the
advantages.  Alcohol fueled engines are somewhat less efficient and burn
more fuel - but they make a hell of a lot more power to the rear wheels
before reaching detonation limits than gasocrap.

Propane, having proved itself in everything from fork lifts to taxis to
medium duty trucks to the Blue Flame series dragsters to monster tractor
pull diesels can make more horsepower because quite simply, its octane
rating is about 5 points higher than methanol, it has about the same energy
per pound as gasocrap, and is liquid at reasonable pressures at room temp.
Everything is reasonable when compared to a bi-fuel methanol system.

Vapor displacement aint a big deal, as the author was dealing with a turbo
engine.  Just raise the boost pressure to compensate - an option not
available with straight gasocrap.  Remember - propane will not detonate in
a twenty to one compression diesel engine!!!!
Also, it requires a rich mixture to ignite, compared to gasoline. This
means that if you are running it liquid into the turbo inlet and injecting
fuel at the ports, the lean mixture in-between the two is not near as
likely to self ignite or sustain combustion (i.e. backfire) as a lean gas
or alcohol mixture.   Any pumping loss's are more than made up by more
oxygen and fuel being used.

Remember, the discussion is on bi-fueling to exceed the detonation limits
of gasocrap so that much more power can be made under WOT and that propane
is being suggested as a simpler alternative to CONSIDER than methanol, not
as a magic bullet for all purpose's at all times.

If the first ingredient ain't Habanero, then the rest don't matter.
Robert Harris <bob at bobthecomputerguy.com>