Hall effect signals...

eric schumacher e.schumacher at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Sat Feb 22 04:43:10 GMT 1997

Hall sensors of the automotive type in general and the VW type in particular
are three terminal devices.  One terminal is ground, the other terminal is
Vcc ( about 6 VDC in the case of VW) and an open collector output. A CD4049
with suitable protection on its input will make an ideal interface since
unlike most CMOS devices it is permissible to raise an input above the chips
Vcc.  Note also that Bosch ignition controllers provide a tach output that
is a little more robust than the hall output.

Lotsa Luck Eric