Opinions on DFI Systems...

James Weiler james at brc.ubc.ca
Tue Feb 25 19:44:13 GMT 1997

I'm looking into the Accel DFI system.  It allows programing while the
engine is running.  It will do:

-speed density or alpha-N
-closed loop or open loop (can be set by RPM)
-operate NOS
-control both fuel (16 X 15 map) and ignition (8 X 8 map)
-4,6 or 8 cylinders
-TBI or MFI
-control radiator cooling fan
-knock sensing and retard
-ign. retard and extra fuel during NOS
-extensive programing for cold cranking, after start and warm up routine
-acceleration enrichment (same function as an accelerator pump in a carb)
-enrichment as a function of change in TPS and/or MAP (same as a power
valve I think)
-1,2 or 3 bar MAP sensor range
-sensors inputs are: MAP,TPS,air temp,engine temp,RPM,O2 sensor
- think I might have missed something else
-supposedly you can get them with the option to run stagged injectors and
control a waste gate but I haven't looked into that.
- DFI also make a sequential ECU but it starts at about $1800.00 U.S.

programing seems to be rather straight forward once you understand their
format.  I'm sure anybody on this list would not be challenged to learn this.

And lastly but most importantly the price.  It's about $800.00 U.S. and
it comes with a MAP and O2 sensor.  Compare this to Haltec who want
$1600.00 U.S. for a similar ECU it's a deal !!  Actually the DFI does
more than the Haltec.

I have the instruction book (about 80 pages but it's easy reading) and am
impressed with what it can do.

Question to the list:  Is the map granular enough? 15 X 16 ?  and the
ignition is only 8 X 8 ??  I have no idea if this is adequate or not.

cheers fellow gear heads
jw