Electromotive and their reputation

Todd Knighton knighton at net-quest.com
Sat Jan 18 16:44:35 GMT 1997

Daniel Burk wrote:

> When their products work, people seem to really like their system.

	I have not seen this, we've seen a few of their systems working, and
they seem to be very unreliable, inconsistant, and very difficult to set
up with their non-conformist attitude about calibration inputs.
	I've heard many of our distributors coming in contact with their fuel
managements as well, and typically throwing them away in lieu of some
better system.

> When their products don't, people really seem to hate dealing with
> Electromotive.  Something about "non-existant" or "Woefully hostile"
> customer service.

	I have experienced this without even purchasing their product.  Just
calling them up to talk about their product to try to purchase one,
totally turned me off to using them.
	They have even talked down their own unit.  We were looking for a
standalone ignition system, their HPV-1 sounded good, with the ability
to alter  ignition curves vs. manifold vacuum and boost, they told us
not to use it, just to use the base unit.
	We talked to them about using their complete system, and integrating
knock control, they told us it didn't work very well.  I guess they were
being at least honest!?!?

> If you, the reader of this post have a positive experience with
> elecromotive service, please reply!!!

	The only positive experiences I've seen with E-motive has been with the
standalone ignition systems.  I've seen many twin-plug porsches driving
around with them for years, on the street and the track.

Todd Knighton
Protomotive Engineering