Fuel line, fittings

Alex seeitall at webrider.net.au
Wed Jul 2 13:09:48 GMT 1997

Stuart Baly wrote:

> I've just got myself the injection hardware off an import L18 Nissan
> engine, with a view to fitting it to my Datsun 1600. At the moment,
> I'm getting the parts together for the fuel supply. My problem is
> that the supply and return lines to the fuel rail were cut, so they
> haven't got those nice little flared collars near the ends to clamp
> the fuel hose over.
> Is there a special tool that can form these collars, perhaps a brake
> line flaring tool, or is there another way?
> Also, in a similar vein, intake pipework on a turbo engine is under
> pressure. When making this pipework from stainless tube, how are the
> ends formed to give the connecting hoses a secure grip?

> Stuart Baly (s.baly at bom.gov.au)
> Technical Officer
> Cape Grim Baseline Air Pollution Station
> Cape Grim, Tasmania, Australia

Hello Stuart

regards the pressure in the intake plumbing on your new EFI motor,
remember that the turbo is pumping at less pressure (?~8 10lbs?)than
what is found present inside your engines cooling system (~13-15lbs).
Use good hose clamps and tighten them sensibly firm. You could also use
a light powered glue if your really worried (ie Aussie Grip from Repco
or Burson Auto parts.

re your cut fuel rail, just go to the wreckers and cut some off another
car, take them to a welders and have them brazed on to your new rails.
Simple.

Regards and Oh! I bet your 1600 has got plenty of bog in its rear
quarters  :-)

Alex