Which language do I learn?

steve ravet steve at sun4c409.imes.com
Fri Jul 11 16:04:12 GMT 1997

> Hi all. I want to learn a programming language most suited to the
> sort of stuff discussed on this list i.e. for ignition and FI
> control. "C" seems to come up often, but I've also seen reference to
> Visual Basic, Delphi, etc. I know the VERY basics "C", but so little
> that it would be easy to change at this point. Speaking of "c",
> there seems to be so many variants of that! Please help.

You can't go wrong if you learn C.  Compilers are available for
virtually every processor ever made, and C is a low enough level
language that you know more or less what sort of assembly will be
generated.  You'll also have to know some assembly for whatever
processor you use.  Vis basic, Delphi, C++ builder, and other
products are much higher level languages.  They are great for quickly
prototyping a graphical application with menus, dialog boxes, etc. in
windowing systems but have no place on the EFI computer itself.
However, these would be good choices for a program on your laptop
that you use to communicate with and change parameters on the EFI
compter via a serial link.

my suggestion:  continue learning C.  It will prove valuable in lots
of things besides your EFI project.

--steve