Fiat woes

Chief afn14222 at afn.org
Fri Jul 11 19:55:43 GMT 1997

I have messed around a little more trying to get my Fiat Spider 2000 FI
running after sitting 4 years.  Runs, revs to 2000rpm or so and dies.

Good spark.
Ignition is advancing.
No vacuum leaks.
Fuel pressure good.   (40 psi with key on, 30 psi at idle)
Air flow meter checks out OK.
When I pull the plugs, they are sooty black indicating a rich condition I
believe.  But if it's rich, why does it deep dying out?

The car refuses to rev about 2000 rpm or so.  I watched the pressure guage
the other day.  At idle, 30 psi, rev the car and it cuts out at around 2000
rpm at which time the pressure rises towards 40 psi again until the car
recovers and revs again.  If you hold the throttle open enough, it will
cycle by revving up, dying, revving up, dying, etc.

What do you all make of the pressure rise.  I assume the injectors stop
firing at some point.  Is it likely that they reach a certain point and stop
firing or is it a computer telling them not to fire kind of thing?

I have been advised from fellow list members to put a LED on the injector
connectors to see when they are firing.  Sorry, haven't done that yet but I
will try.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance.

Ed Hilker aka "Chief"