Ignition Controllers

Bruno! b.marzano at student.canberra.edu.au
Fri Jul 25 02:23:56 GMT 1997

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Rob Skala wrote:

[snippity-snip]

> incorporate a few additional features one of which in knock control.
>
> Does anyone out there have any advice as to the best method to implement
> this ? Ideally what I would like to do is advance the timing to the onset
> of knock and then retard it slightly back into the safe zone. The
> controller will be used on a fuel injected 12A turbo rotary engine.

If your engine needs to be run with the ddis before you implement knock,
you could have the controller emulate a distributor initially, and (dons
the asbestos underwear) gradually tweak the timing so that you might be
able to get the engine to ping. If not, you may be able to set the dizzy
to do so. You could record the engine sounds by bolting a microphone to
the engine somewhere (or maybe even 3 or 4, near the valves :)) to find
the best point where to "listen" for this condition. I've read that this
should not continue for very long, if you want the engine to survive.

The signal could then be filtered out and cleaned up to give a knock
sensor "switch". Make sure that other egine noises do not make the sensor
think it's knocking when it isn't.

I'll be undergoing a similar development with my car soon, and i'll be
posting results as they come to hand.

Good luck,

		    Bruno. (b.marzano at student.canberra.edu.au)

                   On the internet, no-one can hear you scream.