Wanted: Rev Limiter

Jody Shapiro jshapiro at bit-net.com
Mon Jun 23 17:34:59 GMT 1997

On Mon, 23 Jun 1997 ptimmerm at mashtun.JPL.NASA.GOV wrote:

> Can somebody give me a quick tutorial / goto
> on rev limiters.  I broke a vavle spring in my

Rev-limiters are generally implemented in one of two ways.  Either through
fuel cut-off or ignition cut-off.  Most factory rev-limiters are fuel
cut-off so the engine just gets starved for fuel at the rev-limit and
can't rev any higher (unless you do something dumb like miss a shift
bigtime or shift from 3->2 when you meant to shift from 3->4).  Most
aftermarket ignition boxes or implement a rev-limiter by cutting out spark
so not all cylinders fire in a given firing sequence.

Some rev-limiters try to be a bit easier on the engine by rotating around
which cylinder(s) get loss of fuel/ignition so as not to foul a plug or
allow one cylinder to allows "freewheel".

-Jody

--
97 Blue Vortech Z28
http://www.bit-net.com/~jshapiro/z28/