Denso EFI potting=ack!

Seth Allen n9540517 at cc.wwu.edu
Tue Mar 4 04:08:00 GMT 1997

> Hey all,
>
>   The Suzuki TL1000S arrived on Friday.  It's fitted with a Denso ECU.
> There's no EPROM slot, and the production version of the box is
> completely potted with the most satanic stuff I've ever seen.  It's
> like RTV with lots of ground glass mixed in... Is this an industry
> standard potting material?
>
> It's hell to chip off and the crunching noises sound exactly like the
> cruching a DIP would give off while being destroyed. (!)
>
> The catch is, we have to be very careful, because the bike is a brand new
> model and there are no parts in the pipeline yet.  (and it has it's first
> race in 4 weeks.)
>
> Has anyone encountered this horrible stuff and if so, is there any safe
> solvent for it that won't harm the board?
>
>                                    - Chris

Most pottings are epoxies, I imagine this is the same.  Although it is a
thermoset polymer, enough solvent can do the trick.  Acetone, or even
worse, Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) will soften  the epoxy, if as rag wetted
with it is placed on top. MEK is particularly nasty, I would wear gloves
and an organic vapor mask if I was using the stuff for a long time.
Boiling nitric acid will digest epoxy, but that's a bit extreme.  The MEK
or acttone will help weaken the potting, but i wouldn't dip it, the
actone and MEK dissolve many thermoplastics like ABS.

Good luck, and wear gloves!

Seth Allen