Vtec and Toyota 4AGE engine id's

Cliff Tindall cliff at mail.onramp.com.au
Sun Mar 9 13:49:12 GMT 1997

<bold>diy_efi=40coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu,Internet writes:

</bold><x-quoted>Could somebody please offer some help with ID'ing the diff=
erent type's of engine variant's on these two motor's. I know the Vtec 1600=
 come's in half a dozen type's from 110 to 160 Hp but I don't know how to I=
D them. I imagine there is a serial number prefix or something. I also need=
 to know the three different spec's on the Toyota 4AGE. This motor come in =
three variant's. A 110 Hp, 130 Hp and a 170 rare model as well. Yep that's =
right 170 Hp from the 16 valve motor. I know that maybe you can ID them fro=
m the tappet cover color but colors or power I am not sure on. Now I also k=
now that later 4AGE's had 20 valve motor's but they were not the 170 Hp mot=
or's and I think that they were more an economy motor (No dynamic performan=
ce). They reason I need to know is that There are two of us ( one New Zeala=
nder and one Australian) that are possibly looking at fitting either of the=
se motor's to the back of a old Fiat 850 (700kg). Also while you are here c=
an anybody see any problem's about running a gearbox backward's. Eg input s=
haft spun backward's from original design.

Paul

</x-quoted>

Can't help with the gearbox problems, but with the 4AGE question I have don=
e some research in the past. I have found no reliable way to id these engin=
es (I do live in hope) But if you have a used jap importer that  has people=
 actualy in japan, the japanese market has books for each year, covering al=
l models relaesed, and has their ps (read metric horsepower)ratings. This m=
akes interesting reading.=20

I have wired up 6 4AGE engines in different conversions (using the original=
 ecu's etc.)

And all are still going strong. There never was a 170 hp version (Unless yo=
u count the supercharged version 4AGZE)I am wiring one of then real soon in=
to a off road buggy.

I do some wiring work for a shop who specializes in toyota performance, and=
 they state that the 20 valve will out perform even a HIGHLY modified 16v e=
ngine, and having seem one (not running though)I believe it.

Driving different performance fours though, I have to ask, is there a reaso=
n you want to stay at 1.6l?......Cause it dont matter how high tech you get=
 there is still linits (if you have a budget that is)

Cliff Tindall

p.s. The highest official figure I have seen claimed by Toyota for a 16v en=
gine is 100kw<x-quoted>

</x-quoted>

This message was sent from Onramp BBS using the FirstClass SMTP/NNTP Gatewa=
y.