Omega thermocouples

Frank/G.speed fmlin at ccnet3.ccnet.com
Sat Mar 15 14:35:14 GMT 1997

After reading this thread, I searched the archive (thanks alot for
for the interface!) for EGT and found an article written by
Robert Dingli in May 95.  I don't think Robert got around to post
his lab results.  Is Robert still on the list?  Anyone know how
to get in touch with him?  His address in .sig is no longer good...

[beginning of article from archive]

Hi all,

I've been waiting for some labs results to empirically answer the original
query about EGTs vs AFR.  Our test rig (Lancia 2lt 16V on motoring
dynamometer) is wired with a thermocouple in each exhaust runner and one
in the collector.  (It also has thermocouples in every other nook and
cranny.)  We have also individually plumbed each runner to the exhaust gas
analyser for CO, CO2, O2, HC and NOx measurements.  I will post some EGT
characteristics soon.

> My understanding is that combustion temperature is highest at stoich and
> declines as mixture is made richer or leaner. Question: why is EGT increasing as
> mixture is leaned. Is it because combustion temp is increasing as rich
> mixture is brought nearer to stoich? Is it because lean mixture burns
> slower and is still burning as the exhaust valve opens. Or none of the
> above?
>
> Thx, Harmon
>

>From my understanding, you are correct on both accounts.  A thrid factor is
that as the mixture is leaned out, there is less fuel energy to ignite and
eventually the EGTs will drop off (as does peak cylinder pressure and NOx
emmissions).

Robert
             Robert Dingli           r.dingli at ee.mu.oz.au

Power and Control Systems                 Thermodynamics Research Lab
Electrical Engineering                    Mechanical Engineering
   (+613) 344 7966                           (+613) 344 6728
  University of Melbourne, Parkville, 3052, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
[end of article from archive]
--
Frank M. Lin	  | G.speed - Z.Speed Trust HKS DC-Sports Razo/Carmate Soei
fmlin at ccnet.com   | Web page - http://www.ccnet.com/~fmlin/gspeed.html

Fastest 1/4 Mile Honda's - http://www.ccnet.com/~fmlin/eg2/fastest