Hello!

Carl Haas chaas at erols.com
Thu Mar 20 06:18:33 GMT 1997

Todd Chisholm wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I stumbled across the DIY_EFI homepage last night, almost by
> accident.  I have been rolling around the idea of building a fuel
> injection system for my motorcycle (an '83 V45 Sabre) for a couple
> of years, but have never started for fear that I would get in over
> my head (and budget).  The thought resurfaced last night, and
> courtesy of lycos.com, I came across DIY.  To think that you have
> been around all this time!  I underestimate the internet.
>
> I am a Ph.D. student at the University of Toronto studying
> aerospace engineering.  I would like to get a feel for how far
> people can go with a home built EFI system.  If I feel that it is
> reasonable for me, I would like to go ahead with a system for my
> bike.  It is a V-4, 750cc engine.  Has anyone here built a system
> for their bike?
>
> After poking around in the DIY and EFI332 pages, I have a few
> questions.  My original thoughts were a very simple system based
> around an 8051 controller.  The EFI332 motherboard seems to be much
> more sophisticated.  Is the 8051 not powerful enough?  Is the EFI332
> the first full system to be put together by members?  Is there an FAQ
> that I should read to answer all these annoying questions?
>
> I look forward to dealing with you.
>
> Todd.

Hey Todd,

Sounds like fun... I'm also planning to EFI my motorcycle (FJ1100).  I'm
currtently torn between the Microchip PIC16C74 and the Motorola 68HC11A8
for processing.  The Microchip seems easy to get (read digikey).  You can
get a functional demo board, programmer, and software for about $170.  I
haven't found a source for the HC11 stuff yet (eval. board etc.), so I
don't know pricing.  The PIC seems like a good deal, though.

Have you thought about throttle bodies yet?

Carl