Turbo Talk... (and also propane (LPG))

Angus Mackinnon angus at dgs.monash.edu.au
Mon Mar 24 06:33:29 GMT 1997

I'll just give my 2 cents worth on this turbo subject....

> 1. I now have a Air Research TO4 turbo. Are they any good?

They are supposed to be. All the cars I've seen using the T04 seem to
have been improved by their inclusion :). Actually a T04 is something I
might consider for my 2.0 L  when the current Nissan number packs it in.

Any other opinions on this turbo with respect to min or max cid for its
application?

> (I wish to do a blow through)

Good choice. (In fact the only choice if you want to intercool using TBI
I would have thought ?).

> 4. Should i consider fabricating some sort of intercooler ? Are the gains
> worth the effort?

Intercool! I believe that intercooling is worthwhile. My experience is
with LPG (propane) where cooling the charge after the turbo improved
performance dramatically especially in warmer weather.

As an aside someone on this list was interested in using LPG with forced
induction and was looking for some input on the matter. I know this was
some months ago but if they are interested in discussing it

> 5. Any good sources for presurized air duct? mabey thin walled exaust
> pipe w/ rubber couplers?

I've been a party to a couple of fabrications and have used thin walled
exhaust pipe and silicon rubber turbo hose ( has both temp and pressure
 ratings for the job) for the joiners.

> Also on a different note, i have been reading about the TPU capable chips.
> They seem to have some nice built in capabilities. Are they worth further
> research?
> Has any one tried them? (ie. 68300 and 68HC16 families w/ TPU)

There is also an EFI332 mailing list and web page that deals with 68332
based efi. http://efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu/~efi332/

On a more EFI ish note, has anyone had any experience with electronic
boost controllers such as HKS or their own designs? Just a project I
am thinking about .

I think I've asked more questions than I've answered...

Angus

--
Angus Mackinnon
Dept of Digital Systems                  angus at dgs.monash.edu.au
Monash University, Clayton               phone: +61 3 9905 3403
Victoria, AUSTRALIA