Turbo Talk...

Fredrik Skog c95fsg at cs.umu.se
Mon Mar 24 09:44:15 GMT 1997

On Sun, 23 Mar 1997, Michael Yager wrote:

> With the recient talk of turbos I have a question..
>
> 1. I now have a Air Research TO4 turbo. Are they any good?

Yes, they're OK. It's a simple and cheap turbo. The T04E is a little more
effective but it's more expensive.

> I also have a ignition controller and knock sensor from a '78 regal turbo
> coupe (with ignition modual) I intend to install this to my 2.5 on the
> test stand. (still shooting for 300hp)
>
> 2. Any recomendations for mounting locations. Closer to exaust or intake?
> (I wish to do a blow through)

Doesn't make that much differece. If you have heat problems or think you
will have, then mount it longer from the exhaust. If you mount it longer
from the exhaust it will lose some efficency becuause the gases shrink
when they gets colder, but it will run alot cooler. I've got 85 cm long
tubing to my BMW 2002 with turbo and it works very good. Before I had a
cast manifold wich had the turbo appr. 30 cm from the exhaust but it
tended to run a little hot.

> 3. Will a stock TBI computer compensate for boost? In any ammount ?
> 4. Should i consider fabricating some sort of intercooler ? Are the gains
> worth the effort?

Yes, definitely. A friend of mine got an identical engine as me but he has
120 HP more due to the effects of the intercooler. He can run much more
boost and more advance. I'm going to put an intercooler on soon. You get
more HP and less wear.