what _IS_ a good cruise A:F ??

Evert Rosseel Evert.Rosseel at rug.ac.be
Fri Mar 28 09:40:23 GMT 1997

> Knock can occur at relatively low power levels.  For example, most
> cars with EGT systems will knock at highway cruise speeds (which typical=
ly
> demand only 12-30% of the engine's maximum power) if the EGT system is
> defective.  My own truck, a Toyota, will knock (detonate) at 40MPH at a
> steady cruise on a flat road.  This is at approximately 20% of its
> maximum power output.

(From previous post EGT means EGR).

This is true. Because of the dilution of the charge, with EGR the
combustion proceeds significantly slower. This means that to
compensate for this, the ignition advance must be increased. The
ignition system of your vehicle does just that (minimising fuel
consumption). (Combustion phased about symmetrically around
8=B0 after TDC is optimal).
This larger ignition advance will lead to knock IF NO EGR IS USED.

(Of course, if you do something really wrong, you can get knock at all
conditions).

> > This is WRONG. Knock always occurs after the flame has burnt most of
> > the mixture (more than 90%). Only the remainder (less than 10%) burns
> > nearly instantaneously.
>
> I would like to see some evidence of this.  I have flame trace photograp=
hs
> which CLEARLY show the onset of detonation after only 40-50% of the mixt=
ure
> has been consumed.

True. If only 10% would knock, nothing would be visible in the
pictures (as the burnt gas expands because of the high temperature
the end gas volume fraction is smaller than the mass fraction).
For visualisation experiments very extreme conditions are used.

For practical occurence these extreme conditions are not relevant.
Typically, for just audible knock only about 2% of the cycles has
knock (due to cyclic variability).
BTW, if 40% of the mixture would knock for a significant time, the
engine would be destroyed VERY fast.
(Usually the problems start with moderate knock, which can gradually
increase in severity until the engine is destroyed).

Diesel knock is completely different, as autoignition is necessary to
start combustion in the diesel engine. There, large ignition delays
cause to much of the injected fuel to burn at once.

Evert
*    Dr. ir. Evert Rosseel                                             *
*    Laboratory for Machines                                   *
*    Department of Mechanical and Thermal Engineering          *
*    University Gent                                           *
*    Sint-Pietersnieuwstraat 41, 9000 Gent, Belgium            *
*    Tel : ++32 9 264.33.06                                    *
*    Fax : ++32 9 264.35.86                                    *
*    Email : Evert.Rosseel at rug.ac.be                           *
*    WWW : http://allserv.rug.ac.be/~erosseel/motoren.htm      *