Alchol/m85 with a twang.

Clint Corbin ccorbin at rt66.com
Sun May 18 18:18:40 GMT 1997

At 06:37 AM 5/18/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>Now, since Nitro and Alcohol both have high latent heats of
>>evaporation - i.e. makes air fuel real cool, and this blend probably
>>has reasonable octane, what do you suppose would happen if
>>a reasonable amount was separately injected as boost went positive?
>
>Well the problem Max had with the caddy was preignition, and that's why
>he liked it so, cause it was eliminated. Mine doesn't preignite, and
>didn't running this stuff either. Caddys like Max's tend to run warm,
>and I suspect the elimination of preignition was largely due to this
>cooling effect.
>
>>You think it might be an inexpensive way to get things real exciting?
>
>Not in a Mercedes!:-)(read $$$$$)

Fair warning folks, Both the methol alcohol and espectially the nitro methane
bring in lots of extra air!  If you try to inject it or mix a lot of it with
your fuel, you will have to richen up the mix!  Gasoline packs more punch
per gallon, but you can burn almost 6 TIMES as much pure nitro methane with
a given amount of air as you can gasoline!  Remember, it is the FUEL that
makes the power, all the air does is allow you to burn more of it!  Also,
nitro is REALLY hard to light off!  Wonder why the top-fueler's have triple
ignition systems???  (The platinum glow plug in the model engines works by
acting as a catylist when it is red hot).  Have fun!

Clint Corbin