O2 problem solved

Chief afn14222 at afn.org
Sat May 24 23:01:20 GMT 1997

>>I have been getting a lot of 13 codes on my Monte (O2 sensor fault).  I
>>connect a DVM to it and it seems pretty normal, around .4V at cruise, .5 to
>>.6 V under acceleration, .3x V or so at idle.  However, at idle in gear,
>>when watching the O2 voltage on the DVM, using turn signals make it flip
>>flop around by about .15V or so.  Turn on lights, it drops near .30 or .2x,
>>turn on AC and blower motor and the O2 voltage drops to .1x volts!

I have solved the code problem.  I replaced my stock O2 sensor with a heated
Bosch unit of a late Ford Escort.  Incidentally, if going j-yard shopping,
these are easy to pull.  They are right in front of the engine, no bending
or crawling.  Seems to be working OK, haven't gotten an O2 code yet.

I kind of goofed using the DVM.  I grounded somewhere in the car instead of
at the sensor ground.   When I grounded correctly, the O2 voltage stayed
pretty much constant under all rpms.  I put headers on the car and the O2
sensor is in the collector about 3 or 4 times farther from the head that the
old one.  Wasn't getting hot enough apparently.  Now the DVM jumps so much I
can't get a good reading.  Guess that's good.

Thanks to all on the list for the help.  I'll learn this stuff yet. :-)

Ed Hilker aka "Chief"
84'SS - 700R4