Please Help: To lean? (slightly off topic)

Hlynur Tomasson hlynurt at islandia.is
Sat Nov 1 11:42:51 GMT 1997

Jeremy Pronk wrote:

> Hello
>
> Please help, I am having a little trouble with my weber carbs (I know this
> is sort of off topic, but I have had no luck anywhere else and know a
> lot of people on the list are quite knowledgable in this area).
>
> The engine is a 1.5ltr boxer (alfa motor). It runs twin down draught
> webers, all stock. I have tuned up the carbies, balanced airflow with an
> vacuum gauge, and set idle speed mixture with a colortune.
>
> Now the engine misfires initially on acceleration, unless you accelerate
> real real slowly. I have lived with this problem for a little while now,
> not able to find the cause (i rebuilt the motor, but just cleaned the
> carbs). The engine has always backfired (poped) on anything but ultra slow
> decelartion in gear, but with the choke fully on, it doesnt backfire?
>
> Does it sound like a problem with the carbs (assuming the rest of the
> motor is ok)?
>
> all help is appreciated, i would like to get this fixed up soon!
>
> regards, Jeremy

I have no experience with twin down draught webers only twin SIDE
draught webers I had on my 2L Nissan Rally Race engine.
I ran into similar problem one time when I accedently installed gaskets
for air filters upside down, so the carb atmosphere went hole was
blocked or parcally blocked. I reccomm.. you start with this!

Check the flote level carefully, make sure it set to the spec.
Make sure the idle tubes are clean, you should be able to remove the
idle tube assy from oudside the carb (similar to the side draught.)
Additionally those webers are werry sensitive for water a tiny drop of
water can ruin your whole race day.
H. Tomasson
85 Sierra Coswort Replica
52 Buick Super