MAP Havoc

Ed or Jose EdDSP at ix.netcom.com
Sat Nov 1 15:02:08 GMT 1997

Corey & Alicia Beaverson wrote:

> Hello all, I am going to turbocharge a previously non-turbocharged
> engine. I am wondering what needs to be done with the MAP sensor, it
> seems to me (intuitively at least) that when boost is present that the
> ECM will not know what to do...... is there a simple way around this?
> Maybe a varistor of some sort between the ECM and the sensor? By the
> way, this engine uses SFI,  am I missing any other areas or systems that
> would need to be modified.... I am only planning on 5-7psi of boost so I
> am speaking in terms of the ECM and other electronics only.
> Just wanted to find out how this problem has been solved in the past.
> Thanks for any help!

	I had to fool MAP sensors on turbocharged Hondas. Connect a vacuum tee
as close as possible to the MAP's inlet. On the third nipple of the tee,
connect an aquarium 1-way check valve (I'm serious!) Plumb it in so air
exits out. I tried using the check valve inline before, and the car
would just die (my guess it closed up too much). Price for such a check
valve is around $1.00.

-Ed