Water Brake?

Jim Davies jimd at vcc.bc.ca
Wed Nov 19 16:30:01 GMT 1997

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Dave Williams wrote:

>  You have hit on the only viable low-cost setup.  I found that props
> were available cheap when they no longer passed FAA limits, though
> they'd work just fine for a dyno.  Unfortunately I live in a typical
> suburban housing project and the noise would have the police down here
> pronto.  On the other hand, it'd be the Leaf Blower From Hell...
>
> (I did give semi-serious thought to building a prop dyno like yours,
> except mounted on a trailer, so I could tow the rig out someplace where
> the noise wouldn't be a problem, but never did much with the idea)

Dykes Auto Encyclopedia (my copy anyway) has a plan for making a prop-type
brake. A bit crude; a low power thing for engine run-in, IIRC.
But having read a bit about the development of constant-speed props, I
would not worry so much about the noise they make, because if a blade ever
pulls out of the hub under power you will have a very interesting
experience. I remember a picture of a complete Liberty V-12
crank/rods/pistons/reduction gear lying many feet from the remains of the
block as an example of losing one blade...make sure the house insurance is
paid up to date.

Jim Davies