Legal engine swaps?

Tom Cloud cloud at peaches.ph.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 7 18:15:01 GMT 1997

>Pre SB42 which is sitting on Guv Petes Desk rules are simple
>
>65 and later only

 ... snip

>If the engine is newer than the body year, it must have ALL the smog equipment
>and meet the smog standards of the engine year. This includes cats, evaporative
>canisters, transmission etc.

this confuses me ... you mean that the only way to repair an engine
is to rebuild one ??  you can't buy a new one to replace the worn
out one ??  This would seem to be counter-productive to pollution
goals .... a new engine would most certainly be expected to work
better (pollution-wise) than an older one ????

Tom Cloud

   Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have any film
                                  8^)