Memcal chips. What are they???

avos at cochlear.com.au avos at cochlear.com.au
Wed Oct 22 06:21:05 GMT 1997

     Also try the October '97 issue of Silicon chip.

     Adrian Vos
     Cochlear Ltd
     avos at cochlear.com.au

Subject: Re: Memcal chips.  What are they???
Author:  diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu at INTERNET
Date:    22/10/97 11:39

>I have a 90, 5.0L PFI Commodore (in OZ) with a Delco P4
>808 ECM.

Well, you have my sympathies........... :-) (just kidding)

>I have searched through the archives and found quite a
>lot of info regarding the memcal in these, however, apart
>from the 27C128 eprom, I am still unsure as to what the
>other two chips are.
>
>Mine has a 14 pin dip and a 16 pin dip.  The 14 pin dip has
>the number 16080140 and the 16 pin dip has the number
>16080142.
>
>I have read that these are resistor packs used to set
>vehicle parameters.  But I have also read that they
>are roms?

Can't help you with the numbers but the MEMCAL is simply an EPROM
containing the engine operating data, including all the "limp home" mode
stuff, etc, etc.  There were two excellent articles in recent Silicon Chip
mags (July and August 1997) which described the Delco ECU used in Commodes.
The articles also give some details of a software package which has been
developed to allow re-programming of these ECU's.  I'm told it only costs
about $800 for the sw, and is supposedly much more powerful - in terms of
flexibility -  than using something like the Haltech E6-GM.

Cheers

Steve Lamb
Department of Defence, DSTO
Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory
506 Lorimer Street
Fishermans Bend  VIC 3207 Australia

Tel: +61 3 9626 7525
Fax: +61 3 9626 7089