Op amping the O2 sensor

Boucher, Joe C joe.c.boucher at lmco.com
Fri Oct 24 14:47:27 GMT 1997

We have discussed altering the sensor signals to the ECU the last couple
of days.  I'm disappointed no has mentioned the O2 sensor.  I understand
the slope of current sensors response around stoichiometric is very
steep.  The way GM ecu's handle this is to cycle the air/fuel ratio back
and forth through stoichiometric.

My thought is if you could change the output of the sensor, it would
change the mixture lean or rich.  An op amp with a variable resistor
could swing the signal a small amount richer or leaner as required.
EXCEPT, from my readings about op amps, there is a frequency limit where
the amplification falls off.  (HE CAN BE TAUGHT!)

The question of the post:  Is the frequency of the GM ECU swinging of
the mixture back and forth through stoichiometric beyond the frequency
limit of op amps?

Joe Boucher