Op amping the O2 sensor

Brad Sheridan sheridan at vanceandhines.com
Mon Oct 27 17:56:12 GMT 1997

 Tom Cloud wrote:

>the output is analog (i.e. it's not a quantum leap kinda thingie  ;-)
>but it's function is far from linear, with it changing joltage
>rapidly around stoich.  Output near zero for lean mixtures and
>near 1 jolt for rich, with steep slope from about .2 volts to
>.8 volts at stoich -- forget A:F range, but it's very narrow.

  I saw one that had the steep slope you're talking about, and the range
was I believe a few hundredths of an AF ratio, with the curve flattening
out more slowly(and appearing to be marginally more useful) on the rich
side, while the lean side did appear to be ALMOST like a switch, or step
function. There was some useful info on this in a book called Understanding
Automotive Electronics, although I would imagine the SAE papers would be an
even better source. Do you know the numbers for these papers Tom? I'd like
to read more on the temp. characteristics of the sensors, the book I read
only covered it a little.

Brad