Injector bosses & stuff

Rich Mauruschat richm at sykes.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 1 13:20:54 GMT 1997

Various questions have been asked about fitting injector bosses and
compatible epoxies; here are a few of my own experiences which may be of
assistance:-
I have fitted bosses into a 4-cyl. manifold intended for use with Ford 2.0l
SOHC 'Pinto' with Weber DCOE carbs. Turned up from HE30 aluminium 19mm O/D,
14mm I/D to fit injector o-ring; TIG welded into manifold (approx. 6mm wall
thickness), ground away the excess projecting material in the port, and all
with no apparent warping of the mounting face. I considered epoxy fixing but
couldn't bring myself to do it, welding just seemed the right way!.
I have previously looked at epoxy type materials for the purpose of building
up the inlet ports to improve flow velocities, at the time Devcon came up
with some good info. (sorry not to hand at the moment - I will try to
find..) I was recommended "Titanium Putty", considered to cope with inlet
port temperatures, inert to oil/fuel, and a very similar thermal expansion
characteristic to cast iron, I'm sure there were others equally as
applicable to aluminium. (Have the Americans started using aluminium in
engines yet? - Ford "pinto" 4 cyl. = same weight as V8, same size as V8, but
half the displacement of V8 !?). Hope this is of interest.

Rich.
(Ford Escort RS2000 - very nose-heavy.)